Saturday, September 5, 2009

Starting Point

Originally, I thought of this blog as just a discussion and tracking of inflation. Then I realized that there wasn’t going to be much inflation, let alone price inflation, for a while (I will explain below), and, thus, people might not really find this blog interesting. Really, no finds a blog that says nothing is going to happen interesting. Well, expect for those who would enjoy telling me how wrong I was, even after I was proved right (I am looking forward to that.) I am still going to spend a lot of time on inflation, what its doing now, its causes, and its effects, but I need a broader range of subjects.

So, I am going to talk about the economy, what is said by the media and online, what is happening in the markets (with trepidation!!!) and whatever strikes my fancy. Hmmmm, sounds like a blog.

What makes me think that I have something to say that will be interesting, insightful, correct? Primarily, my justification is the results of my interaction with people who I have talked to about this stuff, the quality of thinking I have seen online and in the media, and my range of education and experience. Of course, you’ll have to be your own judge.

My perspective is that freedom is a primary goal/value; that wealth is created by individual thought and effort; that calling people names and thrashing at straw men is a waste of everyone’s time and certainly my effort; that I am more concerned with truth than being the one who is right (serious comments get serious consideration); that clarity is vital; that the world is knowable; that reason is the only tool we have to learn about the world. I am not a professor, although I do have training in economics, both formal and informal. I am influenced by Ayn Rand. I am quite happy about that. I am not an impressionable juvenile. I have been observing and thinking about these issues for over 40 years. (Anyone who argues that considering Ayn Rand means that a person has not grown up is admitting that they actually can’t think of a good argument against her and have sunk to illogic.)

I will begin with an introduction as to why I want to talk about inflation followed by some discussions of certain aspects of inflation in today’s economy. I will include a review of Peter D. Schiff’s Crash Proof (you may be surprised by what I have to say) and several pages of notes. As I go along I will include comments about stuff going on around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment